Sunday, June 30, 2013

Lots o' updates.

I had my levator resection Friday. It was terrible. Seriously the worst procedure I have ever gone through. I was waiting for it for about a month, anticipating and talking to other people who have had it done, being reassured and whatnot. I was okay, even after talking to the surgeon the first time. Everyone said they didn't remember or feel a thing. The surgeon said I wouldn't remember it at all.

Bullshit. I remember every single little detail, and that shit sucks so hard. They didn't put me under because the surgeon needed me to be awake so I could open and close my eyes when he told me to. They gave me a little something to "take the edge off" in my IV, and then he numbed my eyelids with a tiny needle, which I definitely felt, and it definitely hurt. By that point I was already crying and hyperventilating, so they gave me more oxygen. I was shaking, crying, squeezing the nurse's hand off. It was terrible. Mind you, once my eyelids were numb, I couldn't feel the procedure at all, but there were certain pressures I felt that I did not want to feel. And then, I think he used a laser or something, because I could smell my own skin burning. It was as if I were being tortured by SAW. Ugh!

Anyway, here are some before and after shots.




Freaky, right? Yeah. I have to put this antibiotic gunk on my stitches twice a day, and the surgeon gave me some eye drops because my eyes won't close all the way for the first few days. That sucks, too.

Did I mention that I finally got my wheelchair? Because I did. And it's awesome.


This weekend has been pretty amazing. My husband and I are pretty bad at saving money, and we've been shopping quite a bit. More than we should, really. But this isn't a financial advice blog. We went to see Monsters University Thursday as a pre-surgery fun date. It was really good. Friday was the surgery, and after that I pretty much slept all day. That night Thompson (John's friend) came over and they ordered pizza and stayed up all night. Saturday we went grocery shopping, and other-stuff-shopping. And then today, after I woke up from an accident and cleaned myself up (seriously, I hate this shit), we got ready and drove to the Town Center in Aurora because my incredible husband wanted to take me to the Disney store! I have the best husband ever. It was so much fun and even though we both came home absolutely exhausted, I am extremely happy with how the day turned out.

I'm not sure what's to come of my time with the horses... I haven't heard from anyone, but John is going to call the instructor this week to see how things are. We haven't been going to the art class on Wednesdays, but I've been drawing more, so I'm okay with that.

My next appointment is next Monday, the 8th. It's my follow-up with Dr. Slade, the surgeon who cut my face up. ha. That should go pretty good, unless my stitches decide to be stupid and continue to annoy the hell out of me. Damn these things.

My TPN just beeped at me, and it's time to unhook, so I'm gonna get on that. Oh! I don't remember if I mentioned this, since I don't read past posts. We switched my TPN infusion from night to daytime, and from 14 hours to 12 hours. So I'm getting more sleep (unless I have accidents) and I have much more energy in the daytime. They also added hydration fluids so there's that, too.

Okay, off I go. The bath tub is screaming my name.

3 comments:

  1. M, glad surgery is over but I am mad that you remember it, so sorry about that... Hopefully your eyebrows won't hurt so bad from having to lift your eyelids to see. Good news about switching TPN from night to day!! So happy about your cool wheelchair!! You are strong and a sweet trooper!!!! God is blessing you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Rocko's Modern Life t-shirt?! You owning that makes you incredibly awesome. Well, you're awesome for a whole lot of reasons, but I'm sure you're tired of hearing about them. I've been reading your blog since you did the AMA on Reddit. You're great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! And thank you for reading. That AMA really helped me spread awareness to my MNGIE and I am very thankful for it. And of course, I'm actually wearing that shirt right now. :D

      Delete