Tuesday, April 23, 2013

I'm finally getting somewhere with my TPN adjusting. It was supposed to happen last week, but my PCM never signed and sent the orders to Thrive, but now that that's been done, my next shipment of TPN will be adjusted! There will be 272 grams of dextrose and 20 grams of lipids in the bag. I will be adding 42 units of humulin (insulin) instead of 35 units. All this gives me an extra 220 calories a day, and I am seriously hoping this will put some fat on me!

   

I'm looking to see an oculoplastic surgeon for possible correctional surgery for my ptosis. It has gotten much worse, and I can barely keep my left eye open now. I know a few people who would be embarrassed for such a cosmetic issue, but I mean... to me it's just another step in my treatment. I know I already look funny; 4'10, afro-ish hairdo. I weigh less than your kid. But it's all good because I'm totally okay with it. I am kinda nervous about what the surgery entails, what with needles being all up in my eye and shit. But there are two ways it can be done. Internally and externally. Externally being the option I DON'T want to do because I would have to be awake for that one. Ugh no thank you. Anyway, it'd be nice to be able to see properly again.

I've been emailing my nurses and people on my case at Thrive and the hospital. It's nice to not have to make and wait for appointments now.

I think I'm going to be switching to the Curlin pump for my TPN. Right now I'm using the Gemstar. My Thrive nurse recommended it because I guess it's more accurate and the tubing for the Gemstar is a bit hard to come by. I'm interested in the Curlin's purge mode, personally. With my Gemstar, I have to hold down a purge button to push the TPN through the tubing when I spike my TPN, whereas with the Curlin, I would only have to start and stop it when I'm ready to hook it up. It's kind of hard to explain if you're not experienced with infusion pumps.

For the past four days or so my port hasn't been giving me any draw back. It would continue to flush fine, with both saline and heparin, but just refused to give me any blood. I asked Tina about it and she said it was more than likely a positional thing, and we should only be worried if it refuses to flush. So the next couple days I kept trying, still nothing. Yesterday was my dressing change day, and I figured we would get something if we changed the needle, but it still didn't work, so I ended up having to get stabbed in the arm. That sucks. I decided to email Thrive and ask about Cathflo, which is in the process of getting to me. But, thank goodness, this morning I got blood return! :D If only it would have decided to work yesterday...

No comments:

Post a Comment